1. Computing

Goodbye ...

By August 24, 2012

Wishing Bug-free Code to Everyone!

It's with quite a bit of regret that I must tell you that I won't be the About Visual Basic site guide starting next month. This will be my last blog. It's been real and it's been fun!

I originally decided to become the About Visual Basic guide after I retired from a career writing code and managing other programmers. I started using Visual Basic with version 1.0. I knew immediately that this new way of writing code would be a world class revolution.

Unfortunately, the company I worked for at the time had other ideas. Top management was married to IBM. They spent millions on IBM technologies like IMS, token-ring networks, PL/1, and OS/2 that became tombstones along the way in†IBM's horrible and prolonged death march. (Corporations, unlike people, can die and then come back to life. That's what happened to IBM.)†The company I worked for†even made major investments in Lotus, Novell, WordPerfect†and an IMS based code generation technology called Pacbase that was recommended by their consulting partner, Arthur Anderson.

It is difficult to imagine a longer and more consistent string of completely wrong technology choices!

All the while, I tried in vain†to convince top management that Personal Computers, Visual Basic, and the Internet were really the future. I conducted the very first Internet demo the President of my company had ever seen. He told me I was wasting my time.†Looking back on it now, I really don't know how I survived.

The bottom line was that when I retired, I had a driving need to get back to the technology foundation that made sense to me: Personal Computers, Visual Basic, and the Internet. I became the About Visual Basic guide and I've been writing about it for a decade now. Along the way, I also co-authored a book about it:

Pro ASP.NET 4 in VB 2010

I wish I could tell you what the future of Visual Basic will be, both here at About.com and in the world. But my crystal ball is foggy on those. Change is in the air in both. The only thing that is completely clear is that they won't be the same. Windows 8 is such a dramatic departure from anything Microsoft has done before that it's almost unrecognizable. It will be fascinating to see whether it will be a breakthrough or a train wreak.

Visual Basic continues to be a great development environment - I think the best environment - for the jobs it has always done well:

• Desktop applications
  • ASP.NET server based applications
  • Office automation

It's not so clear that it will be the best answer for the new world of mobile applications, cloud based computing, and game programming. In fact, it probably won't be. Microsoft seems to want to pretend that all computing can still be wrapped up in a huge package labeled "Windows". IBM died because they could not see out of their own internal hall of mirrors. I wish Microsoft the best ... but they may be dying of the same disease.

In any case, it's time for me to conquer new worlds too. I've often described myself as a novelist trapped in a techie's body. Maybe you will see a novel with my name on it someday. If you do -- buy it!! But until then ... may your code always run flawlessly the first time.

Comments
August 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm
(1) Karolyn says:

Thank you for my education in VB. You’ve manage to make it understandable to a non-computer person. Best of luck with your novel

August 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm
(2) TheZip says:

I’ve enjoyed reading many of your articles over the years. Good luck to you.

I’ve been a software developer for learning, for fun and professionally since I started college in the late 70′s.

I have evolved from FORTRAN, dabbled in PL/1 and COBOL, then on to C/C++, and moved into the World of VB when it came out.

At that time I found combing VB for UI and C for core code blasted my productivity to a new level. Others had little respect for VB but there was no denying the speed of application building. From there it was “all in” with VB and .NET with a touch of C#.

We’ll see where things go. As a developer of engineering applications I’m wary of the direction things are headed. You can’t operate and maintain a nuclear power plant from a SmartPhone.

Or can you? The future is always exciting and a little scary.

August 25, 2012 at 6:07 pm
(3) Paul says:

Best of luck! You’ve provided us with a high-quality, well-written Visual Basic resource for many years, and for that I thank you.

August 26, 2012 at 3:48 am
(4) Andrew M says:

Second loss for the day Dan. You may not be as famous as Neil, but your retirement from this website will leave a hole.

Like many, I’ve written to you from time to time, and you’ve always replied – sometimes in your blog, and once or twice by email.

Best wishes for a long and productive future.

Andrew

August 26, 2012 at 3:53 am
(5) Tom Techie says:

Thank you, Dan. You are an excellent teacher, and I really enjoyed learning from your helpful tutorials. “About VB” will never be the same! You and I are very much alike. I did my time in technologies that were doomed from the start. And like the soothsayers of Old, my ideas were similarly rejected. I’ve also had to reinvent myself hundreds of time. With each new version of VB (or any language), I’ve had to abandon skills that I was just getting proficient at. But that goes for everything in the technology world. And that gets old, the older I get. I am also working on a novel that reflects our technological world — driven by bad ideas that are marketed well. Best of luck to you in everything you do.

August 26, 2012 at 3:53 am
(6) Aslam says:

Good luck to you;

We thankful for your valuabele contribution in VB

Best Wihes

August 26, 2012 at 3:54 am
(7) William Porter says:

The only sure thing is change. Except at Microsoft. The only sure thing there is ever increasing rule based complexity. I remember when the PC XT came out and provided a standard open development platform to all comers. Bliss. Now it’s their way or the highway. I’ve given up writing code all together as MS became more and more Apple like. The day of the garage band developer has passed. Well it was fun while it lasted. Good luck to you sir.

August 26, 2012 at 3:55 am
(8) John Flynn says:

Like the others, I will miss your articles which have always been helpful. Best of luck with your new direction.

August 26, 2012 at 4:01 am
(9) Ben Zijlstra says:

Thanks very much for your articles about VB. Ben Zijlstra – VB6 user in the Netherlands.

August 26, 2012 at 4:33 am
(10) Brianjie says:

Will sadly miss our Sunday morning read of your informative VB over the many years and have learnt a lot from you.
Thank you so much, and wishing you well for the future.

August 26, 2012 at 5:03 am
(11) John D Souza says:

Thanks, will miss your help.

August 26, 2012 at 5:27 am
(12) Vasco Pinh„o says:

I’ll feel a bit lost in the world of VB programming without your help.
Thank you for all the help you’ve provided all these years.

VP

August 26, 2012 at 5:27 am
(13) Stephen says:

It is nice to see a programer write with such poetic skills and mystique.
having read many of your articles, kept me warm with VB, but like you said we live in a changing world and less and less demand for applications VB is best suited for.
But i will never forget VB is one language i love teach.

August 26, 2012 at 5:36 am
(14) Pandu E Poluan says:

Goodbye Dan. Your articles have opened my eyes to the power of VB.Net. I always prefer ‘wordy’ languages (BASIC, Pascal, Python) to ‘symboly’ languages (C/C++, C#, Perl), and your articles silenced those who often make fun out of me — by writing out high-quality, fully maintainable and reusable, VB.Net programs.

As THHGTTG would say: Goodbye, so long, and thanks for all the fish.

Godspeed.

August 26, 2012 at 6:02 am
(15) Abdulquadir says:

Dan,

Indeed it is sad but I am sure you have all the good reasons. Even though we are definitely gonna miss you, I wish you all the luck in your future endeavors.

Good luck and may almighty god bless ya!

Deeramaha.

August 26, 2012 at 6:29 am
(16) Rafael says:

Thank-you Dan. I will miss you, really. Good luck in whatever you start at.

August 26, 2012 at 8:21 am
(17) John L says:

Dan, you have helped me so much you it is amazing! Thanks and good luck and best wishes, YOU WILL BE MISSED!

August 26, 2012 at 8:54 am
(18) Randy says:

Hey Dan,

Thanks for all the info you have offered over the years. Your insight will be missed.
Take care and best wished.

August 26, 2012 at 9:21 am
(19) Sunx says:

Thank you for your efforts and the best to you in the future.

August 26, 2012 at 9:32 am
(20) Mark McEnearney says:

Your obvious love of VB and programming craftsmanship and your wise old programmer’s point of view have made these columns a lot of fun for me. Even on Sunday mornings, when my favorite newspaper begs to be read, I could never resist opening your emails to see what you’d written about this time. Thank you for many wonderful columns!

August 26, 2012 at 9:37 am
(21) envelopekid says:

So sorry to see you go.
What you said about a corporate slow death, I saw it first hand.
Life is change, enjoy.

August 26, 2012 at 9:43 am
(22) Steve says:

Your articles have been consistently high quality. I will miss knowing that these pearls will not continue like clockwork. Good luck to you in your new venture.

August 26, 2012 at 9:48 am
(23) Gregg says:

Thanks Dan. I really appreciated your work.

August 26, 2012 at 9:56 am
(24) Hector Rodriguez says:

I can’t see a reason to wake up early on a Sunday as I have done all these years. Thank you and good fortune.

August 26, 2012 at 11:15 am
(25) Tim Spezia says:

Thank you for helping me to see the advanced level of VB. Thank you for your efforts

August 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm
(26) danny says:

Thank you Dan for being such a good an enjoyable teacher . Good luck with your new path and keep us informed when that novel is born

August 26, 2012 at 12:04 pm
(27) Cristian Monzon says:

Thank you for your contribution. It was very helpful in my job.

August 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm
(28) Jorge Rosa says:

Dan: Thank you is really sad to read (about) this, Iím very grateful to you for all Iíve learn, I want you to know that it really mater that you were here all of these years.
May all of your wishes come true, keep in touch let us know if you wright the novel
Again thank you
Dim d As String = “You Are”
Dim a As String = “A Great”
Dim n As String = “Man”

August 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm
(29) elizabeth says:

Thank you for all the help you have given to so many. I learned so much from your instructions. Ifirst learned about your About Visual Basic when I took a course on MS ACCESS. I think it was an HP course online. It helped me set up a catalog for a private library where I worked. The catalog is 8 years old. We have added 400 books a year and it is still functioning well and never a problem.
Best wishes for whatever you do next.

August 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm
(30) bill white says:

Dan,

I’m so sorry to see you go, but I wish you all the best with your new adventure!
I’ve relied on you for years to help unravel the complexities of Visual Basic. I’m still programming in VB6 because I feel it was the last VB that made sense.
Thank you for all your great work, Dan! Good Luck.
Bill White

August 26, 2012 at 2:53 pm
(31) Roel van der Heide says:

Dan,
I will certainly miss your well-written blog every Sunday afternoon (here in Europe). I am still doing most of my work in VB6, using all of your priceless comments all the time. It was your professional insight that helped me to stay with VB, both VB.Net and VB6, regardless of opinions of management and other so-called specialists. I share with you a long struggle for using the right programming environment and I owe you a lot for your support in that regard. Thank you very, very much for your well-written blogs that helped me holding on to my point of view. I wish you al the best in whatever the future may have in mind for you.

August 26, 2012 at 3:49 pm
(32) Dan Mabbutt says:

Wow! I’m amazed and also touched by all this. Jorge (above) turned me into a series of VB string declarations. It seemed quite symbolic to me. After all, strings are thrown on the heap too.

I’m not sure any previous blog has ever received this much commentary. And this doesn’t even count the emails I’ve received.

I’ve departed from my standard procedure and I have replied to each and every one of you personally, but I have chosen to send each of you an email rather than replying here. So if you didn’t use a fake email address in your comment, you should receive an email from me.

Again … good coding!!

August 26, 2012 at 3:52 pm
(33) Peter Ingerman says:

Ave atque vale, at least in the world of About.com … but I hope we shall meet again in a different world.

August 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm
(34) Chris says:

Ye Gods, you’ve helped me so very much in VB code tricks, it made me look like the genius I am not. All I can say is THANK YOU! Really going to miss your insight. All I can do is hope to pass it along. Again…thanks!

August 27, 2012 at 1:57 am
(35) bill torbitt says:

I’m too old to be a programmer, but always enjoyed reading the VB articles as far as I could. But old enough to be sad when anything passes. Best of luck with your novel.

August 27, 2012 at 2:06 am
(36) Pierre LIONS says:

Dear Dan,

Thanks for all !
VB lovers will never forget you, you were a beacon in the fog.

Please let us know when your book will be available.

August 27, 2012 at 6:35 am
(37) Howard says:

Best wishes Dan!
Have been a reader and follower since the beginning, can honestly say you showed me all the good stuff. The Micosoft documentation for VB.NET continues to be a train-smash. Seems it was intentionally written obtusely to “persuade” VB coders to convert to C# – and in the process Microsoft just succeeded confusing itself.

Perhaps the real question is: will the business world be willing to move major applications from desktops to smart phones? New technology has only flourished when it came with ease of use. Which is synonymous with bigger screens, better keyboards, input devices, etc. The first computer I ever saw (waay back) had a tiny little screen, and pokey little keyboard. And it disappeared off the market without trace. My prediction is that smartphones are just that – phones with smart-ass gimmicky toys attached. All users we meet are talking openly of abandoning MS, to adopt Linux. So we are now developing in RealBasic. In the end it will be a relief. This mixture of VB classic and NET is not good for one’s nerves.

Once again, all the best, and am looking forward to reading your novel. Will be a best seller, if it’s anything like your blog.
Regards
Howard

August 27, 2012 at 9:13 am
(38) mgfranz says:

Well shoot! What am I going to do on Sunday morning now???

I guess I will have to break down and get a girlfriend…

Thanks for the years of great coding!

August 27, 2012 at 11:39 am
(39) Jerry says:

Dan

Great work over the last decade or so. I am surprised you don’t mention the new incumbent (couldn’t be a replacement) or is there none!

All the best for the future,

Jerry

August 27, 2012 at 11:49 am
(40) Rob Salgado says:

Thanks for all the times one of your clearly written columns has bailed me out of a tough spot at work! Best of luck with your novel! –Rob

August 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm
(41) Ben Lofgren says:

Dan, I’ve been so excited to read your articles over the years. I will miss you. I do hope that someone will step up and try to fill your shoes. And I hope the archives will always be available even though you will be gone. If I only knew half of what you know and continue to learn I’d step up myself but I never really could write much code that worked besides what you have shown me. I seem to always have to start over at the beginning to remember how to get going again. (too many concussions) I really wish I had gotten the experience working instead of just playing with VB. But like you say, something else may come along shortly. It’s been fun and enjoyable reading your many brilliantly created articles. Please keep in touch.
Thinking of you often and best wishes for the future,
Ben Lofgren

August 27, 2012 at 4:33 pm
(42) Naz says:

I was surprised to see the “goodbye” on the subject line of your email. Dan, you have enriched the knowledge of countless people and we are grateful for that. You have made a difference and that what counts. Thank you and wishing you the best.

August 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm
(43) Rich says:

Dan:
just thank you.
You might not remember me. I sent you an email a few years ago and you spend your time to answer. It was very useful to me and an honor.
Good luck.
(by the way I’m from Mexico City)

August 27, 2012 at 6:54 pm
(44) Mike says:

Thanks so much for your time and your articles!

Best of luck to you!!

August 28, 2012 at 6:23 am
(45) Pradeep Bhattacharya says:

The first and only time I wrote to you, you replied (promptly). But I learned from the message you sent me. And I have since then tried to learn (About VB6) the only way (the hard way). Thank you, Dan.

August 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm
(46) larry hooven says:

Having you answer my one question on your blog was indeed an honor. i have saved every newsletter i’ve received since i signed up, i will be sad to see you go, you have given me much help over the years even if you were blissfully unaware of it.

cetecean class away!!!

and god speed friend.

August 29, 2012 at 1:59 pm
(47) Honorio says:

Hoy dia se emigra de un lenguaje a otro rapidamente pero el legado es el ismo los cimientos siguen estando ahi, gracias por todo el apoyo y seguir echandole ganas

August 29, 2012 at 7:46 pm
(48) Rick Boyer says:

Say it ain’t so! You taught a Intro to Computing class several years ago on hp’s Learning Center. I loved it, even though I haven’t applied myself to the topics you presented (work gets in the way).

If you read this, could you please answer a question from that class?

In “C”, if you add two positive numbers and the result is negative, how do you fix?

Much Regards,

Rick Boyer

August 30, 2012 at 3:50 am
(49) Rajwant Kushwaha says:

Having you answer my one question on your blog was indeed an honor. i have saved every newsletter iíve received since i signed up, i will be sad to see you go. Please accept my heartfelt wishes for a long and productive future.

August 30, 2012 at 8:37 am
(50) Randy says:

Thanks Dan!

September 2, 2012 at 3:43 am
(51) Boryana says:

Thank you Dan!
Best luck for you!
Boryana

September 2, 2012 at 4:11 am
(52) Julia says:

Thank you for all your helpful advice. Your writing style is very accessible and the little stories you tell to put your code into context are always interesting. I think you’ll make a good novelist.

Best of luck for your new direction

Julia

September 2, 2012 at 6:10 am
(53) Kevin says:

I am a British self taught developer of somewhat advanced years. My American wife and I have developed a product that is widely used in primary and secondary healthcare here in the UK. I develop exclusively in VB.net and have found this website to be an invaluable resource and pleasant to read. I’m very sorry to hear it will soon be history. Many thanks and good luck for the future

September 2, 2012 at 6:10 am
(54) Kevin says:

September 2, 2012 at 6:41 am
(55) paulywauly says:

well that’s my last excuse not to go to church on Sunday morning shot down in flames. I have enjoyed everyone of your blogs over the years and even though I bit the bullet and went over to C# a few years ago it is a rare week when you don’t teach me something new about the obscure workings of Microsoft. The best of luck in all your future endeavors.

September 2, 2012 at 6:51 am
(56) GovindaPaudyal says:

Thanks for your High Valued Knowledge. Take Care, Bye.

September 2, 2012 at 7:00 am
(57) Chandana says:

Dan,

Thanks for all your help. Will miss you. Wish you all the best.

Regards,
Chandana

September 2, 2012 at 7:06 am
(58) Woz_a says:

Thank you for all your help.

September 2, 2012 at 7:34 am
(59) Cliff says:

Thanks Dan, for helping make the complicated a little more understandable for those of us (non-professional programmers) who had the desire to learn programming. For me, I was never a professional, but got to the point where I might have easily become one – in part thanks to you. I was able to write some pretty intensive data-centric programs for my company, (but was met with indifference due to its primitive culture). However, your aritcles always represented a beacon of understanding whenever I seemed to get lost at sea, and allowed me once again to fix my position and set a course into port. For that I thank you. It’s no small achievement in this technological world to be able to make its complexities understandable to the common man. Best of Luck in all your future endeavors.
Sincerely, Cliff Johnston

September 2, 2012 at 8:16 am
(60) Ed N. says:

Dan,

I found your blog and subscribed after taking on the task of writing a facilities planning solution for public school systems using Access as the back -end. Like you, I worked for companies that more often than not made strange choices. I’ve appreciated your contributions immensily and will miss you. Best wishes!

September 2, 2012 at 9:23 am
(61) Linda Ewen says:

Top management often make computer decisions based on conversations held during golf sessions.

September 2, 2012 at 10:17 am
(62) Mike Irwin says:

Although I started programming in school in England in 1973, I never needed to do anything at all in any form of Basic until 2005! Then, stumbling into VB.NET 2, I also stumbled across your column here on about.com. Life became so so much easier and successful!

So I’m happy to be able to say ‘Thank You !!’ for a number of successful projects that would never have been done without your words (I’m sure there’s many more out here who can admit the same!).

Good luck with the book(s)! About should give you the subscription list for this column, so you can send us all an email when your book is finished! Best wishes!

September 2, 2012 at 10:31 am
(63) Reinhard Neuwirth says:

Dan,
Your exit comes out of left field. Evidently you were disappointed by Microsoft’s attitude towards the established VB6 developer base with the introduction of .Net. Quite frankly, I was annoyed at the time as I had been struggling to establish myself as a developer and ended up throwing half a ton of code away – but only after trying hard and realizing that what I had done in VB6 worked but was too messy to port to .Net (VB2005). However, now that I feel comfortable, even enthusiastic about .Net your departure makes me wonder what surprises there may be in store with the advent of Windows 8 and the embracing of mobile technologies. If there is something concrete you know please tell us explicitly. Cheers, Reinhard

September 2, 2012 at 10:34 am
(64) Scott says:

Dan, don’t do a novel, do a non fiction about the ever recurring dreadnought-steamrollers you describe in your goodbye paragraphs… if then else…select case and all of that. Pseudo code Orwell if you catch my drift
Job well done in the mean time

September 2, 2012 at 10:58 am
(65) Hal Steinkopf says:

Wow! You have had an impact! I really don’t code much in VB anymore. I have gone off toward Java, T-SQL, etc. and find that basic concepts don’t change much between languages. I have read most of your postings over many years and learned from them and, probably more importantly to me, enjoyed reading them. I never unsubscribed after discontinuing coding in VB because of that enjoyment.

Yours is a tough act to follow. Thank you for the memories.

September 2, 2012 at 11:58 am
(66) Tunji says:

Thanks so much Dan Mabbutt. It has been great following you these past years. Best of luck in your new endeavour.

September 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm
(67) T. Haque says:

Thanks Dan.
I have used your articles on and off while teaching VB,
and learned a lot.
Yes, technology is such a thing, if you choose the wrong path,
death of your career is often inevitable.
Wish you the best.

September 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm
(68) Bob Huntington says:

Thank you for all the years I have been able to travel the Visual Basic ride with you. I wish you the best in what ever you do from here on out.

Bob H.

September 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm
(69) Chris Allen says:

Dan,
I regret that only have blogs as far back as 2/20/11 but I have kept every one since then and they have helped me greatly. Thanks for making my VB experience fun and rewarding. I will be watching for anything and everything you write. The wish you the best.

Chris

September 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm
(70) bob kennelly says:

Thank you very much Dan for all of your excellent contributions and i’ve always found time to read your emailings even though i’m a C#, Java, C++ programmer! Best of luck and i think it would be super if you could transition your desires into writing books and movies, maybe another TRON! where the code becomes so semantic ontologoized, it develops its own logic building responses, sort of a sequel to the “Rise of the Machines”, but your version of the movie would reveal how the machine learning evolved and progressed in the lab….ok maybe someone builds a computer literally using DNA as the storage platform, just read about that, and somehow the DNA chip is dropped into some kind of solution of enzymes and the enzymes fill in some needed gaps int he DNA circuitry, of course according to how the phsics of the DNA would design it, ie at the electron level, hahahah, just like probably happened for real, but the cool thing about movies that tread on the edge of understandable logic is that its easy to brainstorm the next sequel and its lots of fun. Best of luck Dan, you are one of those unsung hero’s for alot of us geeks out here! Will be looking forward to the next version of TRON!

September 2, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(71) Larry E. Taylor (Taylor Systems) says:

So sad to see you go, Dan. I have felt a closeness to you since you started. Our backgrounds seem to have a bit in common.

After 7 years in the U.S. Navy (Advanced Electronics and Electronics Countermeasures during the Vietnam era)… I, spent 10 years with IBM. I was one of the very first IBM’ers trained on the IBM PC when it was introduced. I started writing in assembler and have written in about 12 languages and found that Visual Basic was among my favorites. While with IBM, I felt very strongly that the future would be more comprised of networked PC’s rather than mainframes supporting a terminal environments.

I recall being invited to consider taking up the task of writing this column that you have done so very well. ‘About’ had sent out some invitations to find folks who were qualified for… and were interested in… writing the ‘About Visual Basic’ column and I had left IBM and become an independent software developer for local small businesses and started teaching programming languages, operatings systems networking and applications at a local state college (Ivy Tech in Indiana).

When I saw that you had accepted the challenge and I saw how well you were supporting the topic, I finished the remaining 15 years in the corporate world, writing custom software for BFGoodrich, Geon and PolyOne corporations. In 2002, I left the corporate world and now (until I am ready to retire)… I provide outsourced IT services for small businesses and organizations that cannot afford a full-time IT staff.

I read your articles every week and recommended them often.

It is difficult for me to imagine anyone doing a better job than what you have done. I also agree with your comments about the future and the personal and professional biases that you have expressed.

I will miss your weekly articles very much and wish you well in whatever path you take and challenges you embrace.

Be well, my friend…

Larry E. Taylor
Taylor Systems and Software Design

September 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm
(72) Bob (btcomp) says:

Dan,

I am sorry to hear that. And now that I am finally doing some real work in VB and also in ASP.Net with VB, I find myself remorseful that if Microsoft ever drops .Net or VB what will happen? But I certainly hope not. It does pay to know other languages and I have to admit I like PHP too, but I’m not nearly as good in it, other than I can make coding changes often because I just try to think it through (of course with the help of Google).

Good luck in your future endeavors and if you are going to be visible on the web for us to see and chat let us know.

September 3, 2012 at 1:38 am
(73) Terry Carter says:

Thanks so much for your valuable time, insights and help with VB. I have been a viewer of your sight now for years and use it often when teaching my own VB course. THANKS and good look to you also.

September 3, 2012 at 1:52 am
(74) Rockey says:

I came rather late to this programming world (I am 58). Everything I know I have learned from this blog.

It has enabled me to make a comfortable living here in South Africa.

Thank You !!

Good luck with your future endevours.

Regards

Rockey

September 3, 2012 at 3:22 am
(75) Peter says:

Thanks a lot from Hong Kong!

September 3, 2012 at 4:03 am
(76) K.N. Sankara Narayanan says:

very sad to hear the news. thousands of people like me learnt from you so many things. we all miss u.

God bless u.

regards.

sankara narayanan

September 3, 2012 at 4:09 am
(77) Terry says:

Thanks for your ‘articles’.

Best Wishes

Terry Widdowson

September 4, 2012 at 6:56 am
(78) Irondi John Chibuzo says:

People like you are rare to find in this world. You give, but do not demand anything back. God will definitely take you to a higher ground to make you more charitable.
Thanks

September 4, 2012 at 7:10 am
(79) Kelvin Croft says:

Thanks Dan
You will be sadly missed here!
Best of luck to you in your new ventures
Kindest Regards

kiwikel

September 4, 2012 at 9:18 am
(80) Debby says:

In relation to the Goodbye page from Dan Mabbutt…
Dan Mabbutt, you have been a lifesaver for this new programmer on so many occassions! I wish you well in all that you do and my prayers go with you.
Thank you so much for all the awesome lessons, advisements, and How-To’s related to Visual Basic! You will be missed!!!

September 4, 2012 at 11:17 am
(81) David says:

Dan,

It has been a pleasure following your articles over the years. Some people get up on Sunday and read the paperÖ I read your article. I started a long time ago and started saving your articles on November 30th, 2004. I now have 632 saved.

I recommend your articles to my programming students at Seminole State College of Florida and have a link to your website on our class website.

I hate to see you go but wish you all the best. Iíll watch for your novel.

Will the series continue or is it just the VB site thatís being shut down?

All the best.

David

September 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm
(82) Jason says:

Thank you so much for all the tips. You will be missed my friend. Take care and good health to you.

September 4, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(83) The Keegster says:

Bon Voyage Dan from a fellow traveller in Australia,

I have oftened relied on your expertise in explaining the more complex and elusive topics (Do delegates ring a bell?) for clarity and sense.

I too am a refugee from the IBM world to the VB.Net world and have never enjoyed my programming more…mostly due to the wealth of information and support available on sites like About.com.

Good luck and good health.

September 5, 2012 at 10:31 am
(84) Hal says:

I have been a follower of yours for years and cannot count the number of times you have helped me further my understanding of Visual Basic. I too have been developing application with VB since its emergence. Over the years it has increased in complexity at an alarming rate with questionable advantages.

With the release of Visual Studio 2012 I find that its resemblance to former versions moot. Does Microsoft expects the business community to embrace the product? The cost of retraining staff will be prohibitive and what advantages will be gained from such a venture.

I am a retired Systems Developer with over 40 years of experience with many types of development protocols. I have always supported change when there was a definite benefit but I do not see this in the Windows 8 product.

Good luck Dan. You will be missed.

September 6, 2012 at 7:02 am
(85) Paul Cooper says:

Hi,

I’ve only been programming VB professionally for a year, coming from a IBM mainframe COBOL background. Its with your advice and help that I have learned VB and its been a fundamental building block in my knowledge.

Its a real shame you are leaving but I wish you all the best in what you do and if its the same standard of the work you have done here, you will do well.

Thanks for all your help.

Paul